Director Asghar Farhadi Talks THE
PAST, His Inspiration for the Story, Filming a Different Side of Paris, the
Oscar Controversy, and More
The Past, Iranian filmmaker Asghar Farhadi’s follow-up to his
Oscar-winning A Separation, is an intricately crafted human drama that examines
the complicated emotional and psychological bonds of a family in turmoil.Following a four-year separation, Ahmad (Ali
Mosaffa) returns to Paris from Tehran to finalize his divorce from his
estranged wife Marie (Berenice Bejo) who wants to marry another man
(Samir/Tahar Rahim).During his brief
stay, Ahmad uncovers the dark secret that explains Marie’s conflicted
relationship with her rebellious teenage daughter Lucie (Pauline Burlet).Opening December 20th, The Past is Iran’s
official submission for this year’s Best Foreign Language Oscar.
At the film’s recent press day, Farhadi talked about how a
friend’s recollection inspired the story, why he likes to write flawed
characters but tries not to judge them, his casting philosophy, how he chose to
contrast the two male characters and worked with the children to create very
natural performances, his decision to shoot in the Parisian suburbs and
distance himself from the more familiar romantic settings, why he used very
little music in the film, the powerful but hopeful ending, the challenge of
making a movie in a language other than his own, and his thoughts on the
controversy surrounding the film’s Oscar bid.Hit the jump to read the full interview.
Question: How did this project come
together and what inspired your story?
ASGHAR FARHADI:This
story, in fact, came after me years before because it was a recollection that a
friend of mine had recounted to me of a memory he had.Before making my third film, Fireworks
Wednesday, I was trying to make an appointment to see a friend of mine, and he
said, “Oh, you know, I’m not going to be around because I’m going out of the
country to see my ex-wife.”He told me
they had been separated but they hadn’t formalized the divorce.This memory remained with me in the sense
that I kept thinking what an odd situation to travel to another country to
visit an ex-wife and to stay with them.This creates a kind of dramatic situation, although at that time, it did
not occur to me that it could be made into a film or that I would make it into
a film.It was much later that I
thought, “I can make a film out of this.”Nothing awful or terrible happened to my friend.He went and they peacefully formalized their
divorce, but in the story, things happened differently.
One of the things I love about the film is how there are no
good or bad characters in the traditional sense and that everyone is very
flawed and human. Could you talk about
that? And also, does it bother you when
others judge the characters?
FARHADI:During all of
my writing career, this includes when I was writing plays and my other
screenplays, I don’t recall ever writing a negative character, which does not
mean that my characters aren’t flawed or do not make mistakes.In actual fact, they all are quite flawed.But why is it that I say they are not
negative or not bad?That’s because in
the film we see the reasons for their errors and we feel that were we in their
position we might likely have made the same mistakes.Their negative actions or their mistakes
don’t stem from a negative nature.It’s
the conditions of their environment that force them onto a path that perhaps
they themselves don’t even want to walk.This phrase, “everyone has their reasons,” is one that I subscribe to
for all of those characters.The other
point I want to raise, and it’s quite important to me, is based on what
standard or on what pattern or view can we call one conduct good and another
one bad?I don’t have a problem if
someone else were to say that one of my characters is a good one and another
one is not and is a bad one.I try
myself not to have any judgment towards my characters, but certainly the
audience might.Based on their own
personal experiences and their own temperament, each viewer is bound to give
one character greater rights and another one lesser rights.In a sense, this allows the viewer through
the film to come to know themselves better.
Did the script change at all during production?
The
pace at which everything is fluttering, developing and changing is so rapid and
over a period of time is such that I don’t honestly know whether it resembles
or doesn’t resemble [what I originally envisioned].It’s like a person who, as they grow older,
their face changes, but they don’t necessarily notice that themselves.However, prior to starting to shoot, the
screenplay was complete and there were no changes that occurred during the
production.There were some changes in
the details, but in the fundamentals and structure of the story, there were no
changes.
How did the casting of your three leads come about? Was it as fated as the story?
I believe, at
least in cinema, that all of this stuff has been decided in advance and that
all we’re doing is going forward and pulling aside the curtain and
discovering.Whenever I write a part, I
think there’s this person somewhere in the world that this part is specifically
for and all I have to do is go searching to find that particular
individual.When I wrote the part of
Fouad, friends of mine said, “It’s very unlikely since you don’t speak French
that you’ll find the child that could play this part the way you’ve written
it.It might come out not so
great.”But one day the door opened and
he entered as if somebody had sent him.
When casting your film, did you try to match their look or
their acting skills?
It’s all of
it together.But there are also some
subsidiary, tangential things that one has to watch out for when casting.These details spring from story.For instance, there’s this phrase that Lucie
utters.She tells Ahmad, “My mother went
for Samir because he looked like you.”I
was compelled to choose two people that after hearing that sentence – not
before – you might think maybe Lucie’s right, but not so resembling one another
that one could decidedly say Lucie is right – it had to be so-so.I tried to find two actors whose features and
gaze were close to one another.I didn’t
have a full free hand in this area, but within my means, I did what I could,
and then even later after the casting, I tried in makeup to somehow accentuate
it.
There’s a stunning two-shot of the two men at the kitchen
table that’s very long and quiet and incredibly moving. Is this something you envisioned beforehand
or is it something you discovered in the shooting and in the editing?
The
scene existed in that way in the screenplay.Continuing the remark I just made, I needed to one time set both
characters in the frame together so that the viewers would compare the two of
them.It’s long precisely so that this
opportunity can be afforded to the audience to compare the two of them.We even tried our best to match the color of
the clothes of those two actors so that audiences would focus on the faces.This is where the viewer can ask themselves,
“Which of these is the man of the house?”The audience has an opportunity to think, “Do these two really look like
each other?And because Samir resembles
Ahmad, is that why Marie has gone and chosen Samir?”The fact is that both of these men, in my
opinion, express a kind of outsiderness towards that house.
There’s a scene in the kitchen where Ahmad is preparing a
traditional meal that suggests a sense of heritage within the family. Was that intended to also demonstrate that
he’s providing for them?
This scene
has several functions.One is, there’s
perhaps some competitiveness between the two men – each one trying to show
himself to be more the man of the house.For instance, Ahmad does the shopping, does the cooking, fixes the
bicycle, deals with the children, so much so that one starts to think maybe he
is more the man of the house.When Samir
comes the next day, he’s like, “No.I’ll
fix the flush on the toilet,” and he starts to paint and is trying to position
himself in that part.But another
function of this scene is Ahmad’s characterization that seems to be somebody
who’s more attached to the past, who’s looking behind.The kind of food he’s preparing is a very
traditional meal.
Is it the actor’s choice as the character to play lots of
moments with no words or is this coming from the director’s point of view?
I think it’s
both.It’s impossible to separate these
two things.Because a character like
Ahmad, and in fact, all the characters in the film, are such quiet types within
whom there is so much tumult that there necessarily has to be these quiet moments.There’s more silence in this film than in any
of my previous films.It might be
because the situations in which the characters find themselves are inexplicable
to themselves and also to others.They’re not able to explain why it is that they have done the things
they’ve done.
How did you work with the kids to bring out those
very natural performances and help them go to some pretty emotional places?
Working with
children is very different than the way in which I work with adults.One has to work just as much with children as
with adults, but the manner of work is very different.I never tell the children the actual truth of
the thing that I want them to act.Although children are really into play and play acting, and this is a
major part of their existence, they never actually find the playing or acting
of adults credible.One must never tell
a child what it is they should display acting.For instance, your mother is now in a coma and you should act unhappy
because of it. Just as with the adults,
I rehearsed for several months, a few days a week, with the children.Most of the time was spent during those
rehearsals in making the inner relationships between the adults in the story
credible to the children.
How would you describe the role of the house in this film?
Seeing as my
films are frequently about family, the house ends up playing a major role in
it.The house gets transformed into
something like a character.It’s as
though there’s a reflection of the interior of all the people that can be seen
on the walls of the house.For instance,
in A Separation, the home that we see is a composite of a traditional home and
a more modern one.In the kitchen, some
of the stuff is older.There’s an older
fridge and on the other side there’s a much newer one.In The Past, the architecture of that house
is very unique and has a lot of turns and hidden spaces and broken spaces.So, after one’s seen it, one can’t really say
what the shape of it was – a little bit like people.The space of this film, the walls of it, the
way they are painting the walls of it, it seems to me to be a reflection of the
inside of the characters.
From a western standpoint, we’re not used to seeing Paris
shown in a non-romanticized way. Was that
conscious or is that your particular vision of Paris?
The
image we have of Paris, if one is not Parisian, is the image we’ve been given
by the cinema, and that’s a very beautiful, somewhat romantic vision with its
very beautiful and likeable architecture.But in my story, I’m assuming the source of its inspiration is not
cinema but life.In Paris, if you take
an RER suburban train, buy a ticket and ride ten minutes outside of the city,
you’re somewhere that in no way resembles that Paris that you’ve been
told.I made the decision to distance
myself from that Paris of cinema, even though it might have been a lot simpler
had I decided to stick to that image of Paris.I chose the main character’s home in the suburbs of Paris.Being there, the woman who’s now been left by
Ahmad seemed more solitary, more abandoned and this appealed to me.
I loved the film but why was there no music which is
something we only see in a very few films?
Ever since my
third film onward, I tried to use very little music, not because I don’t like
music.Actually I like music a lot and I
listen to a lot of Persian music.But
stemming from the fact that these films are attempting to be real and to
represent the real, I can’t subscribe to music, to the idea of where is this
music suddenly appearing from?In most
films in conventional cinema, when they use music, they in a way want to
accentuate our emotions and this isn’t something that I require.I think that my audience is sufficiently
engaged emotionally with the film.The
fact that I do place music at the end of my film is not to accentuate the
emotion.It serves an opposite purpose
which is to remove them from the emotional space of the film and allow them to
enter a space of thinking, because I believe that when the audience is watching
the film they’re watching it with their feelings.What I wish for is that when the film has
ended, those feelings can be transformed into thinking.And this ending, the last scene of the film,
and the title with the music over it, I think does perform that action.
The ending is so powerful and also so hopeful and
redemptive. Was that something you
always thought of when you were telling the story because you wanted it to end
on a hopeful note?
It seemed to me that the film’s ending was just as complicated as the
story.It’s not a grim and pessimistic
ending, but it is a melancholy one.This
is the first time that at the end of my film I’m also playing in a way with the
audience.This is not something that I’d
done in my previous films.At the end of
the film, the man has put on the perfume and is awaiting a reaction from his
wife.There is a teardrop that begins to
fall in response to this perfume, or perhaps not in response.It might be an uncontrolled event that the
audience does see but that the character does not see.But next, we go to see their hands and we’re
waiting for the woman’s hand to move, whereas in fact, we’ve just seen the tear.It’s as though we have been placed in a
situation where we’ve forgotten that.Why is it that we are not able to have faith in the teardrop and are
awaiting another miracle?This is
something that the characters also have throughout the story.They’ve seen things that they’ve forgotten or
they refuse to believe.
When you won your Oscar for A Separation you said that you
hoped that people would see the beautiful people of Iran. How do you think things have changed in the
past two years? How have you been
welcomed back home?
What I would
do is to separate the situation of the people of Iran from the situation of the
government or state.What I said when I
spoke was about the people.As I said
there, the people of Iran, and not just the people today but throughout
history, those people’s temperament has never been a belligerent
temperament.When there is any
disrespect towards them, they get very upset.And when they’re respectfully treated, they’re very happy.After what happened for A Separation, when I
returned to Iran, they were very happy and I received a huge degree of
affection from the people.Not so much
perhaps from the government.
Can you talk about the challenges of making a movie in a
language other than your own? Also, was
there any controversy that Iran’s submission to the Oscars was mostly in
French?
FARHADI:Well, in any
event, if you are making a film in another language than your own, you are
doing something out of the ordinary.This is not something I would wish to repeat always, but sometimes
there’s a story that comes and seeks you out and will not leave you alone night
and day and you feel compelled to make that film.If you have to do that, then you have no
options.You have no other choice.I liked this story so much that I did decide
to take that risk on.My attempt was not
to see this as a problem, but to see it as a unique characteristic and to use
it as such.Today, it gives me great
pleasure knowing that when native French speakers see this film, everything
appears credible to them and they don’t feel that this film was made by someone
who doesn’t speak French.Regarding the
fact that the film was presented for the Oscars, I’m very pleased about
that.I’m very pleased that the film was
presented from my own country.This
selection did have its opponents in Iran who felt that because the producers
and the money that had backed the film were French, this film was French.But I feel that putting aside the fact that
the cinematographer, sound person, director, writer, main character, secondary character
are Iranian, there’s also an Iranian gaze and this is what specifies the film’s
identity as Iranian.
No comments:
Post a Comment